The floriculture business in India has emerged as one of the trending startup ideas in the current scenario. During lockdown amid the COVID-19 outbreak, the Indian economy has witnessed a significant drop, and many employees have lost their jobs. Still, too many unemployed youths are looking to embrace any innovative business idea for their livelihood. This form of business holds immense potential to survive and grow and prove mettle in the competitive environment.
Floriculture is an immense opportunity for folks who enjoy investing their heart and soul in gardening. Generating fruitful outcomes in terms of finance is a possibility by doing flower farming business. Technical proficiency is not a crucial requirement for those who are willing to start a floriculture business in India. Having the basic knowledge about floriculture and other simple concepts concerning running a business would be enough to commence this business anywhere in India.
Before acquiring more knowledge about the flower farming business or Floriculture business in India, one must know about the basic concepts of floriculture that encompass the meaning of floriculture as well.
Table of Contents
Meaning of Floriculture
Floriculture also known as flower farming is a division of ornamental horticulture that revolves around the study of growing flowering plants. Floriculture encompasses farming of flowering as well as ornamental plants that would get utilized as raw materials in the pharmaceutical industry and perfume segment as well. Production, use, and marketing of floral crops takes place under Floriculture.
In the geographical boundaries of India, Floriculture has been groomed as the money-making Agri-business.
- Annual, biennial & perennial ornamentals, such as cacti as well as other succulents
- Lawn and ornamental grasses
- Bulbous plants
- Pot and house plants
- Cut and loose flowers seed
- Bulb production of ornamentals
- Dried flowers or plant parts
- Other value-added products such as edible pigments, extraction of essential oils & their marketing, as well
Indian Floriculture Market: Scope, Industry Trends, and Forecast
- It is anticipated that the Indian Floriculture market will touch the value of INR 661 Billion by 2026.
- Although flowers have been a vital component of Indian society and were cultivated for several purposes ranging from aesthetic to social as well as religious purposes, the commercial Floriculture market has been of recent origin.
- Floriculture has risen as one of the most significant trades in Indian agriculture due to a rapid increase in the demand for cut and loose flowers.
- The metros and the major urban cities in India currently represent a major chunk of significant consumers of flowers in the boundaries of India.
- As a result of elevating urbanization and the impact of western cultures, people are buying flowers to draw the attention of one and all on several occasions such as festivals, anniversaries, Valentine’s Day, birthdays, farewell parties, marriages, religious ceremonies, etc.
- The consumption of flowers is likely to increase further as trends of urbanization as well as the influence of western culture are anticipated to get the much-needed boost in the forthcoming period.
- IMARC Group expects the Floriculture market in India to showcase accelerating growth during 2021-2026.
- While exports remain a vital motivator for cultivators, the demand for flowers within India’s geographical boundaries is also increasing rapidly, especially in the metros and larger cities.
- Besides aesthetic & decorative purposes, a significant amount of flower consumption is bound to happen in industrial applications.
- It includes fragrances, flavours, natural colour, medicines, etc.
- The consumption of these products would witness an upward trend during the forecast period leaving a positive impact on the floriculture industry and lure more floriculture business enthusiasts to come forward and commence the Floriculture business in India.
Develop your Business Plan
- Before initiating any business, you must fabricate a sound business plan.
- You must acquire cooling equipment such as a freezer in order to keep your flowers fresh and beautiful and increase their shelf life as the life span of flowers is very less.
- You must also examine the manpower requirement that you might demand to design the floral arrangement and for the purpose of delivery as well.
- Either you want to proceed ahead for a franchise or source to commence your business like flower companies or florists.
- There is no need for proper mentoring before initiating Floriculture business in India as this business is all about basic knowledge, and no bookish concepts can help you develop your potential to run this business.
- Create a well-structured plan before stepping ahead for starting Floriculture business in India. You may open your shop in your locality.
- If you are planning to transform your dream into reality, you would have to pen down your thoughts on paper and do proper planning before going ahead.
- Prepare the idea concerning the capital requirement for the floriculture business in India.
- In addition to this, check out the crucial factors such as the floral delivery platform to give the finishing touch to your business plan.
- You may also evaluate the staff requirements that you would have to prepare and leap forward to the floral arrangement plans and deliveries.
Pursue Innovative Ideas
- Party decorations or events won’t look the same without the flower.
- Nowadays, flowers are not restricted only to flower bouquets.
- There are numerous options available such as selecting boutonnieres, centrepieces, floral decoration for wedding, and towering sets in the office, as well as contracts of full-fledged gardening.
- Although there is a wide scope to grow in this form of business, you have to take care of the capital requirement and manpower needed as well.
- Always try to pursue creative and innovative ideas to take your business into the sky of perfection.
Go For Flowers that are in Great Demand
- You need to opt for the flowers that are in demand in the Indian market.
- So, you may or may not are fond of certain flowers, but if they have value and great demand in the Indian market, then you would have to grow those flowers in your garden at any cost.
- Certain flowers are specific to a distinct climate & occasion.
- You would have to separate them to assist your customers in making a knowledgeable decision and rendering them value for money.
Costing for Floriculture Business in India
- In order to commence your Floriculture business in India, you must require Rs. 30,000 as initial capital.
- The cost of the flower on the farm is up to Rs. 3. Furthermore, you must know that its international value is likely to be more than Rs. 6.
- The demand for flowers comes from 15000 to 20000 every week. Therefore, even if you arrange a client, you may be able to earn more than 45000 per week, based on the number of clients.
- Form a web-based portfolio of your products as well as displaying on the internet.
- Information related to the ongoing trends in the market for your products.
- List your organization in all b2b as well as other potential sites.
- You would have to prepare a database of the growers/suppliers from India and buyers for your floriculture products all over the world.
- Export based calculations such as calculating C&F charges along with profit calculations.
- If you are going international, there will be a requirement for a cover letter in diverse languages as per the target markets ( such as in Spanish, German, and Dutch for Germany, Spain, as well as the Netherlands as target markets)
- You may start exporting products on your own and without taking the services from any agent. No need to bank upon anybody else to help export your produce.
- Design a company to commence a professional export service.
- Design logo, together with the letterhead of the company that will be used for marketing purpose.
- Construct an authentic office to win the trust of buyers.
- Cover letter designing for the purpose of international e-mail marketing
- Profile of the Company
Licenses and Permits Required
You may start the small to medium Business either a Proprietorship or Partnership Firm.
If you are starting this Business as One Person Company, then you have to register your firm as a proprietorship.
For Partnership operation, you have to register as a limited liability partnership (LLP) or Pvt. Ltd. Company with
Registrar of Companies (ROC).
it is mandatory to get the GST number to run the business; you need to apply for the GST registration.
obtain trade license from local authorities
this MSME/SSI Registration will help you to get schemes and facility for the business offers by the state government
BIS has mentioned the specific quality standard for Business. ISI specification for the
you can secure your brand with trademark registration
IEC code is essential for the export of the product
state insurance which is an insurance scheme for workers.
Employees provident fund is compulsory for the business where more than 20 employees are working.
To comply with the above processes and registration, one might need any legal expert who would help in absolute legal compliance to meet industrial standards.
What are Cut Flowers?
Cut flowers are useful in fabricating bouquet as well as floral baskets as corsages, decoration purposes and for the arrangement of flowers. These flowers are harvested with stalk for arrangement in vases and are lasting as well. These constitute a significant share of the entire world trade in floricultural products.
Cut flower crops that in demand are-
- Bird of Paradise
- Calla Lily
Loose flowers are those flowers that are get plucked from plants without stalk underneath the calyx. These flowers are in demand, especially in Asian Nations, and useful in making veni, rangoli, hair adornments for women and garlands, bracelets, for garden displays, decorative purposes, as well as religious offerings.
Loose flowers consists of-
- Spider Lily
Cut Foliages or Cut Greens
The demand for cut greens or cut foliages is high as they are attractive in form, colour as well as freshness. These are utilized as fillers coupled with cut flowers in flower arrangements & elsewhere for the aesthetic values that they carry. This floral produce has a wide range of uses in making attractive fresh floral designs as well as floral arrangements like bouquets, decoration of house interiors, wreaths, etc.
Some of the well-known cut greens are mentioned below-
Potted Plants for Floriculture Business in India
- The commercial value of potted plants has gained momentum due to their requirements for instant gardening & indoor and outdoor decoration.
- The potted plants may easily get carried to places, which should get landscaped immediately. The potted plant industry is flourishing well.
- Potted plants can be either ornamental foliage or flowering.
- The importance of these plants is on a great level because with the growing population & lack of open spaces, one may need to rely heavily on potted plants for the decoration of the houses and the surroundings.
- Potted plants are used for indoor decoration at homes, commercial complexes, corporate offices, offices, malls, hotels, and various other sites for different functions & events.
Some examples of potted plants are showcased below-
- Money plant
The floriculture business in India is a great option for those who get fascinated and lured by the mesmerizing beauty of flowers. It’s a business that holds immense potential in the current scenario. At Aatmnirbhar Sena, we are all set to assist you in initiating the Floriculture business in India. Gear up for this innovation-based business and spread bliss and fragrance in the lives of folks.