Pig farming Business commercially in India to produce meat is among the most effective and most profitable business concepts to those who are Indian people. There are many meat-producing breeds of pig available all over the world.
Some are appropriate for the commercial production of meat by the climate and weather of India.
In the past, the pig farming industry was viewed as a negative thing within the social sphere (only socially backward, classes that disadvantaged Indian people were raised pigs from the beginning of time and were considered to be unrespectable people).
However, the situation has drastically changed and commercial agriculture of pigs across India is no longer limited to people of lower-income.
Pig farming business plan
If you are planning to start a business you need to draw a pig farming business plan, for that, we have given the step-by-step business plan below. People are now aware of the value of pigs in the economy similar to other domestic animals. Higher caste educated people have also begun business pig farming in a contemporary and scientific way. China, Russia, America, Brazil, and West Germany are the biggest producers of pigs.
See Also: Chaatkhao Franchise In USA
In the state of India Uttar Pradesh is the largest producer of pigs in the country. But, I will discuss the benefits and the steps needed to start commercial pork farming in India.
How to start pig farming business in India?
How to start pig farming business? If you are looking to begin a commercial pig farming business in India then you need to get as much information as you can about how to begin a business of pig farming in India.
British Lop champion and interbreed champion Balsham Sunshine by M.J Kiddy and Son, Sandy, Beds.
To be successful in pig farming, you must follow the steps step-by-step procedure. This article will outline the necessary steps to begin commercial pig farming in India.
Senyatsi’s suggestion would be to set aside 0,5ha for each sow. A 250-sow unit would require approximately 125ha.
“People often believe that for a piggery you need less land, but the reality is that, while a smaller portion is required for construction of the houses, a larger amount of land is required for waste disposal,” she says.
When deciding on the location to farm farmers should look at the land that is close to the market and the production inputs.
“Often farmers face high transportation costs due to having to travel for long distances. It is advised not to live further than 200km away from your local market.
See Also: Shake Chili Franchise
“For Biosecurity purposes, the property must also be separated from the residential areas If it is possible. This helps reduce the chance of illness and theft, as well as the likelihood of developments for residential purposes at later times,” says Senyatsi.
Law requires that an EIA must be carried out on the farm before any piggery construction. “The cost for this differs according to a myriad of aspects like the location, size of the unit, in addition to whether this is a simple or a more detailed EIA. It’s recommended to consult an environmental professional who will be able to provide the appropriate costing,” she says.
To ensure a financially viable operation for pigs, Senyatsi provides the following golden guidelines:
- Marketing: Find an outlet for your pigs before the start of production.
- Housing: Provide sturdy structures to protect the pork from extreme weather that could impact their performance.
- Breeding: Purchase high-quality gene material as well as breeding stock
- Feed: Ensure that the feed fulfills all nutritional requirements for different production stages
- Biosecurity Implement steps in place to avoid the spread of the disease onto the farm, and also spreading between pigs;
- Health A healthy pig is a productive pig. Prevention is always less expensive than treatment;
- Welfare: Make sure that the pigs are not suffering from thirst, hunger, and pain throughout the day;
- Staff: Hire competent employees and take care of them.
Buy Productive Pig Breeds
After deciding on or purchasing appropriate land to build the farm you want to start, now is the time to invest in highly productive breeds of pigs. There are a variety of varieties of pig breeds around the globe.
See Also: ViN Tandoori Chai Franchise
All of them aren’t suitable for raising commercially. Therefore, it is important to select highly productive breeds. The majority of pig farmers in the country are raising small, low-productive pigs.
In the end, they’re not producing the desired quantity. To produce commercially-produced meat, you can pick some imported pigs with high meat production breeds.
A few of these highly productive breeds of pig are described below. They are readily available in India and are suitable for the commercial production of pigs in India.
- Large White Yorkshire: It is a massive and the most widely used exotic pig breed found in India. Their body is white, with erect ears, a dished face, and snouts that are medium lengths. Boars that are adults (male pig) weigh between 300 and 400 kilograms, while an adult sow weighs between 300 to 320 kilograms. The Large White Yorkshire is an excellent pig breed that is ideal for purposes of crossing breeding.
- Landrace: Landrace is another highly meat-productive pig breed. They are long-bodied pigs with a long snouts and large drooping ears. They have a white body and has a black skin spot. They’re also ideal to crossbreed with Large White Yorkshire. Adult boars weigh around 300 to 360 kilograms as an adult sow weighs about 200-320 kg. Ideal for commercial pig farms in India.
- Middle White Yorkshire: This breed of pig is utilized by farmers in a few regions of India. They are extremely fast-growing and possess a superior carcass quality/dressing rate. A mature Middle White Yorkshire boar weighs between 250 and 340 kilograms and an adult sow weighs about 180-270 kilograms.
- Other Breeds: Apart from the breeds listed above there are many different breeds of pigs as well. Following the weather conditions of India, other breeds work well in farming. Hampshire, HS X1, Duroc, Indigenous, Ghungroo, etc. are suitable for the pig breeding industry in India. However, Large White Yorkshire, Landrace, and Middle White Yorkshire are very appropriate to be used in commercial farming.
See Also: Brownie Point Franchise
A well-equipped and safe environment is essential for the success of a successful business in pig farming. Housing does not just provide shelter but also helps keep them protected from harsh weather, parasites, and different types of pig diseases.
When building a house for pork, consider the accessibility of different types of facilities. Install a suitable ventilation system.
Set up a suitable facility to keep the boar, the farrowing weaner, and dry sow apart from one another. The necessary space needed for each kind of pig is listed in the next chart.
Feeding is the main aspect of the commercial production of pigs in India. The growth, production, and health of animals are dependent on feeding high-quality and nutritious feed. Pick the best ingredients to use when making feed.
The main ingredients in the feed for pigs are oat, maize, grains rice, sorghum, rice, and various millets. It is possible to add proteins such as oils, cakes, fishmeal, or meat meal.
Include all kinds of vitamins and mineral supplements. Add antibiotic supplements at a rate of 11 mg per kilogram. It’s best if you allow your pigs to roam around through the pastures and feed them fresh green legumes.
See Also: Just Falafel Franchise
The best method of feeding the pigs in an animal farm is to keep them and separately feed them. This means keeping the different aged pigs separate and feeding them according to weight and age. In addition to feeding them nutritious food, ensure that you give them enough clean, freshwater.
The amount of food consumed is contingent upon the weight and age of the pigs. Check out the chart below to find out the daily requirements for feed depending on the bodyweight of the different aged pigs.
|Feeding Amount According to the Body Weight of Pigs|
|Body Weight of Pigs||Daily Required Food (kg) Per Pig|
The process of breeding pigs is simple. In general, male and female pigs can breed at eight-month old.
At this point, they are between 100 and 120 kilograms. The period of heat for female pig lengths is two to three days. The first day of the period of heat in gilts is the ideal timing to breed. The second day is ideal for sows.
A sow can be used for breeding after 2-10 days after weaning. The gestation time of the pigs should not exceed 120 days. A sow may have piglets born every year twice and approximately 8 to 12 piglets at a time.
Care & Management
See Also: Raising Cane’s Franchise
Take good care of your pets. Be sure to protect them from any kind of disease and health hazards. Male piglets aren’t required for breeding purposes.
You can save some and others can be castrated once they reach 3-4 weeks old. Feed them nutritious food and be extra careful with the sow during the lactation period.
Be extra cautious about the breeding boars as well as piglets and pregnant sows. The piglets should be vaccinated to stop the spread of swine fever from 2-to-4 weeks old. Be sure to keep your pigs in a quiet and quiet area. Do not let visitors on the farm.
Pig Farming Business Marketing
Marketing is one of the most straightforward aspects of the commercial production of pigs in India. Pig meat is in the great domestic market. It is easy to sell your product at the local market or in nearby large markets. You could also focus on the world market.
Pig farming commercially in India is a highly profitable business. Also, the social landscape of pig farming has significantly changed. Everyone is now aware of the importance of the pig farming industry in India.
If you’re looking to set up commercial pig farms in India and want to know more about the most recent and accurate techniques of pig farming. We wish you success. Cheers!